National Museum of Beirut
Collection Type: Museum
The National Museum of Beirut is the main archeological museum in Lebanon. The collection started after World War I, and the museum was officially opened in 1942. The collection includes approximately 100,000 objects, most of which are antiquities and medieval finds from excavations undertaken by the Directorate General of Antiquities. About 1,300 artifacts are exhibited, and date from prehistoric times to the medieval Mamluk period.
During the 1975 Lebanese Civil War, the museum stood on the front line that separated the warring factions and the building and its collection suffered extensive damage, although most of the artifacts were saved through last-minute pre-emptive measures.
Name: Anne Marie Afeiche, Collection representative
Address: Mathaf Main Street, Mathaf
Tel: +961 1 612260
Kasr Al-Eini Museum, Museum of Arab Faculty of Medicine
Collection Type: Museum University
Collection Size: < 1,000 Period: 1860-1900 1900-1930 1930-1960 Type of Material & Format: Black and White images Prints Website: http://www.medicine.cu.edu.eg/beta/index.php/en/about/54-history/193-the-museum The idea of establishing the Kasr Al-Eini Museum was first initiated in 1976 by Dr. Mohammed Almenawi, the surgeon gynecologist and obstetrician who was general secretary of the Faculty of Medicine and responsible of the Museum, to present the modern history of modern medicine in Egypt. It was initiated to feature the oldest Faculty of Medicine in the Orient, which was inaugurated in 1827 by Mohammed Ali Pacha to introduce the European techniques in the Egyptian army. The Museum narrates the history of medicine in the Orient, confirming the historical role played by the Qasr Al-Eini School of Medicine as a linkage between medicine in Pharaonic (Ancient) Egypt and modern medicine. The library of the Museum houses numerous rare books and references, an encyclopedia on "The Wise Men of Qasr Al-Eini" or the biographies of 154 professors who lectured in Qasr Al-Eini, with their photographs. Some of these photographs go back to the 19th Century. It also holds various documents and manuscripts, tableaux of marble, portraits and statues. The collection is only available to the public on display; the rest requires permission of the dean of the Faculty of Medicine of Cairo University. Contact Details: Name: Hisham Nigma, Director Address: Qasr Al-Eini campus on Al Manyal ar-Rawdah Island Tel: +202-2364-4665
Collection Type: Museum State agency/ Ministry
Collection Size: > 50,000
Period: 1860-1900 1900-1930
Type of Material & Format: Black and White images Film-based negatives Glass plates positives and/or negatives Prints
The Golestan Palace is the oldest monument in Tehran. It belongs to a group of royal buildings that were once enclosed within the mud-thatched walls of Tehran’s Historic Arg (citadel). The Arg was built during the reign of Tahmasb I (1524-1576) of the Safavid dynasty (1502-1736). Agha Mohamad Khan Qajar (1742-1797) chose Tehran as his capital and the Arg became the site of the Qajar Court (1794-1925). The Golestan Palace became the official residence of the royal family. During the Pahlavi era (1925-1979), the Golestan Palace was used for formal royal receptions. In its present state, the Golestan Palace is the result of roughly 400 years of construction and renovations.
The museum’s archival holdings are comprised of photographs, paintings, and manuscripts from the late Qajar era, and in particular, the period of Nasser al-Din Shah’s reign (1848-1896), as well as a small library. Naser Al-Din Shah (1831-1896) became interested in photography soon after its invention, publishing essays on photographic processes, as did his successor Mozfar Al-Din Shah. As a result, students were often sent to Europe and eventually became teachers in Dar Al-Funun.
The Golestan palace houses around 48,000 photographs, the oldest dating from 1840. The collection is organized according to albums which were made by the Qajar court, and often, by Nasser al-Din Shah himself. The collection, which is partly digitized (around 6,000 images as of 2015), includes approximately 1,000 slides, 1,039 albums and 9,000 glass negatives. The photographs are of various processes and sizes, and were taken in Iran and other countries in Europe, Asia and Africa (e.g. Turkey, Iraq, Egypt, Japan, Russia, Georgia, France, Switzerland, Morocco, India, and Italy). The holdings also include a collection of nitrate films from the early years of Iranian Cinema.
The collection is often referenced in books, articles, postcards, exhibitions, and academic research. Important publications include: Tehran features; Golestan Palace; Like Mirror. The collection is in part accessible to Researchers upon request.
Contact Details: Name: Akram Alibabaei
Address: Tehran, Panzdaeh Khordad, Arq Suquare, Golestan Palace
Tel: (+98) 021 33113335
Dissertation reviews: http://dissertationreviews.org/archives/10352
Birzeit University Museum
Collection Type: Museum University
Collection Size: 1,000-10,000
Type of Material & Format: Black and White images Digital files
Birzeit University Museum is a pioneering art space that produces and promotes contemporary artistic practice as a form of creative knowledge and that offers instrumental tools for social change and cultural dialogue.
Birzeit University Museum offers exhibitions, collections and education programs. Most of Birzeit University Museum photographic collections are donated from individuals or institutions that they have worked with during the exhibitions or research workshops.
The photographic collection reflects the daily life of Palestinian in the last century such as weddings and so on.
Name: Ayman Hashem Al-Shweiki
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com
Address: Birzeit University, Birzeit, Palestine.
Tel: 00 970 2 2982976