One of the main outcomes of the MEPPI symposium, The Photographic Legacy of the Middle East and North Africa: Priorities for Sustainability, which was held on May 3 and 4, 2017 at the Sursock Museum, was the forming of a Steering Committee, charged with providing leadership and guidance to MEPPI as it begins its transition from a partner-supported project to a regionally-directed network. The following 9 individuals were appointed to the Interim Steering Committee, and charged with overseeing the transition:
- Ibrahim Abdelfattah (Grand Egyptian Museum)
- Maha Ahmed (Cairo University)
- Hala Alsyouf (Department of Antiquities in Jordan)
- Omar Berakdar (Independent)
- Kaoukab Chebaro (American University of Beirut)
- Mahmoud Hadia (Department of Antiquities in Libya)
- Nahid Mahdi (Iraq National Library and Archives)
- Charbel Saad (Arab Image Foundation)
- Rachel Tabet (Arab Image Foundation)
As a follow-up, the Steering Committee members convened for the first time at the American University of Beirut (AUB) on March of 2018, led by Committee co-leaders Kaoukab and Omar. The members set long- and short-term goals to ensure a successful future for MEPPI. Outcomes of the meeting are detailed in the letter that the Steering Committee shared with the MEPPI alumni on April 3, 2018.
The Steering Committee’s communication and organization is currently managed by the Arab Image Foundation (AIF), while the Getty Conservation Institute (GCI) will continue funding the committee’s activities until December 2018.